US stars Dustin Johnson and Patrick Reed have confirmed they will play in a brand new European Tour event in Saudi Arabia next year.
The Saudi Arabia Golf Federation announced on Saturday that it would be staging the as-yet unnamed event from January 31 – February 3 2018, adding a third tournament to the early-season Desert Swing.
The Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship and the Omega Dubai Desert are already popular events and it is hoped that the Royal Greens Golf and Country Club will preside over a successful four days on the Arabian Peninsula.
Many details are yet to be revealed but world number one Johnson is relishing the prospect of teeing it up.
“I’m excited to make my first trip to Saudi Arabia and support this historic new event,” he said. “It sounds like some amazing things are happening there, including big plans for junior and family golf development. It?s an honour to be part of Saudi Arabia?s golf journey from the onset.”
Reed, who claimed his first major by winning last month’s Masters, admits he jumped at the chance to make another foray outside of the PGA Tour.
“It’s been a crazy few weeks since I won at Augusta and so much fun,” he said. “I had not, at this stage, finalised anything in my schedule for next year, but when I heard about the ambitious plans for golf in Saudi Arabia, I committed straight away.”